What Things are Poisonous to Dogs? Some are Not Well Known

What Things are Poisonous to Dogs?  Probably most of us are very careful to make sure that our dogs and cats stay away from things that can be poisonous to them.  But many times, we are not aware of different things that can be toxic to them.  

In this post, I’m going to place a short quote from an article that deals with the question of what things are poisonous to dogs and cats.  It lists dog health issues and some of the things that we are all very much aware of such as chocolate, pesticides, insecticides, etc.  But there are other things that can be hazardous to our pets.  In the past, I have not thought of some of these things as being a problem.

I guess that if I sat down and thought about it, I would think of some of the things on the author’s list that can be a problem.  My problem is that I don’t give it much thought.  What about you?

But it would take only one time for my dog to get into one of these toxic items, and then I would then be much more careful.  I would absolutely hate to lose my dog because of my carelessness.

The article I mentioned is, “Top poisonous things your dog may have eaten in 2011” by Tom Plahutnik.  Here is a quote from the article:

Below is the Top Ten List from Pet Poison Helpline. Items are presented in order of frequency starting with foods, which accounted for the highest number of poisoning cases in 2011.

1. Foods – specifically chocolate, xylitol, and grapes/raisins.

Certain types of chocolate are very toxic to dogs. The chemical causing toxicity in chocolate is theobromine (a relative of caffeine). The darker, more bitter, and more concentrated the chocolate is, the more dangerous it is. Many sugarless gums and candies contain xylitol, a sweetener that is dangerous to dogs. When ingested, even in small amounts, it can result in a life-threatening drop in blood sugar or even liver failure. Raisins and grapes are often overlooked as one of the most toxic foods to dogs, and can result in kidney failure.

2. Insecticides – including sprays, bait stations, and spot on flea/tick treatments.

Ingestion of insecticides and pesticides, especially those that contain organophosphates (e.g., disulfoton, often found in rose-care products), can be life-threatening to dogs, even when ingested in small amounts. While spot-on flea and tick treatments work well for dogs, they can be very toxic to cats when not applied appropriately. Cat owners should read labels carefully, as those that contain pyrethrins or pyrethroids (a derivative of the Chrysanthemum flower), are severely toxic if directly applied or ingested.

3. Mouse and rat poison – rodenticides.

There are many types of chemicals in mouse and rat poisons, all with different active ingredients and types of action, making all of them potentially poisonous to dogs. Depending on what type was ingested, poisoning can result in internal bleeding, brain swelling, kidney failure, or even severe vomiting and bloat. Mouse and rat poisons also pose the potential for relay toxicity, meaning pets – and even wildlife – can be poisoned by eating dead rodents poisoned by rodenticides.

Here is the entire article.  I feel it would be very beneficial for you to read the complete article.

Have you ever sat down and thought about what things are poisonous to dogs and cats?  The author lists some things I had never considered before.  Are there other things that should be included on the list?  Thanks very much for your comments.

 

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
This entry was posted in Dog Health Issues and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>