There are certain foods that our dogs should avoid. This is a subject not to be taken lightly.
I am personally not a fan of giving my dog table food. We feed our dog a very healthy dog food. It is a well balanced food that provides excellent nutrition. If we gave our dog table food, it would disrupt his regular balanced diet.
Our dog is 8 years old. But most people think he is a puppy. He looks like one and acts like one. A major reason for this is the healthy dog food he eats.
We have some very good friends who own a dog. For the most part, they are two of the smartest people I know. But they feed their dog the scraps from their dinner. This also includes the left over dessert they don’t eat. Ice cream is one of the dog’s favorites.
I feel very sorry for the dog. Unfortunately, I don’t think he will live to an old age.
Our friends think they are doing the dog a favor. They are sadly wrong.
Chocolate is one of the foods that our dogs should absolutely not have. It is toxic for pets. If they do ingest chocolate, they should be taken to your veterinarian immediately.
I just read an article that supports what I am saying. It’s entitled, “Foods for Pets to Avoid.” It’s written by Leah Ingram. Ms. Ingram is a lifestyle expert and has written for several high profile magazines.
Here is a quote from the article:
I never knew that chocolate was a problem for dogs until the day, many years ago, when my family and I returned home on Easter Sunday, to find my daughters solid chocolate bunnies mysteriously missing and our dog lying on his side in the dining room, panting.
Turns out chocolate is toxic to dogs, but ours was one lucky pup. After rushing him to the vet and being put on IV fluids, the dog recovered within a week. Really, he could have died.
As I got educated on why chocolate is dangerous for dogs, I discovered that other products with caffeine in them are equally dangerous—including coffee and soda. I also learned that many other foods should be on the no-eat list for dogs and other pets. These include:
- Alcohol: Like a frat boy that has had too much too drink, even a little bit of alcohol can send a pet into a seizure or lead to respiratory failure.
- Avocado: While avocado can give dogs the runs, it can kill birds and rodents.
- Grapes/Raisins: Simply put these fruits cause kidney failure in dogs.
- Raw Dough: The yeast in raw dough can continue to expand in your dog’s gut, leading to a ruptured intestine. Some vets believe that any bread can potentially cause intestinal problems in dogs. So limit how much you feed him.
- Onions, Garlic, and Chives: If you grow your own herbs or keep these out on a counter—and you have a cat—you may want to put those items under lock and key. These can cause damage to a cat’s blood stream if ingested.
If you like to feed your pet from the table, please make sure that you never feed your furry friends any of these toxic foods.
The complete article can be found here. It’s a well-written article and provides good information.
What has been your experience with foods that your pet should not have? I’ll have to admit that our fist dog got into some chocolate while we were on vacation. We didn’t know any better so didn’t take her to a vet. It was a tough night for all of since she was very sick for several hours. Fortunately, she made it through but we were very lucky.
Scott Hubbard is a long time pet lover. For the last 40 years, dogs have been a major part of his family.
He has dedicated the last 8 years of his life to dog health issues and finding the best products for pet health. You can reach him directly by calling toll-free 877-878-4036 or by emailing him at ScottHubbard@ProductsForPetHealth.com.